Saturday, May 25, 2013

Waiting For George L.

The Desert Museum has a new mountain lion.  This is a very big deal.  After our two longtime resident mountain lions were 'retired' to an off-exhibit facility to live out their old age, everyone (staff, volunteers, docents, visitors) have been waiting anxiously for a new mountain lion.  The mountain lion is the symbol, the mascot if you will, of the Desert Museum.  It just wouldn't do to be without one.
One of our now-retired mountain lions

 Although I am not privy to   all the details, I do know that acquiring an animal of this type for zoo exhibit is not an easy task. But, we got word a while back that a cub had been obtained in California and would soon be coming to the Desert Museum.  But, ssshhh!  We want to keep it a secret, make sure it all goes well.  There is a great deal of paperwork, quarantine, and watching his health.

Here's his story.  Someone discovered him in the backyard of a home in San Jose, California and called Fish and Wildlife.  He was dehydrated, undernourished, covered with fleas and ticks, and weighed only 15 pounds.  He was only 3 months of age and should have still been with his mother.  Two months later, he now weighs over 50 pounds.  He is one lucky cat.

Finally, we were told that the day had come when the cub was to be released in his new home.  To ease his transition, the exhibit would be blocked off to the public for the first week, giving the little guy time to acclimate.  By last Friday, staff and volunteers were allowed along the pathway to help him get used to seeing people staring at him.  A few of us saw him, but he spent most of his time inside, out of view.

On Monday, he was introduced to the press and to the public.  People began coming in droves to see him.  But, he remains shy and elusive, just as cats are supposed to be.  Friday is my regular day at the Museum, and I was anxious for some time to spend at the mountain lion exhibit.  Around 11 in the morning, I parked myself, along with another docent and many visitor, in front of the exhibit and waited for the cub to emerge.  A keeper went in the enclosure and disturbed a bat who began circling frantically above our heads.  A gorgeous Clark's spiny lizard in bright blue breeding duds climbed the rocks, a rock squirrel scrambled into view, the thick-billed parrots squawked from their nearby enclosure and a giant Sonoran desert toad sat patiently in the reeds.  We all waited.

The keeper put a big red ball out to entice the cub.  It worked.  Soon there he was, not venturing out of the cave, but clearly visible and oh! so incredibly adorable.  We are not supposed to anthropomorphize, but sometimes it just cannot be helped.  The visitors and the docents were thrilled that our wait had paid off.  Our view didn't last long, but allowed a few photos.

To increase interest and visitor participation, the Museum is having a naming contest.  Their first ever.  I heard that so far there are over 800 entries.  I'm glad I'm not on the committee making that decision!  The very first mountain lion at the Museum was named George L. Mountainlion, and every subsequent one has carried the same name.  So those of us who have been around the Museum for a while just naturally thought this one should be George L. also, following in the tradition.  This is the public relations age, however, and apparently George L. is passe.  So, sometime this summer, we will learn what the newest, and now famous, cat will be named.  Stay tuned .  .  .


  1. I'll miss George L. but understand the need to involve lots of people in the naming process!

  2. So glad you are back to blogging. I'll have to come back to my favorite natural history museum soon. Thanks for a gret story.

  3. That is one lucky cat! He is so beautiful. i can't wait to see him next winter!


I welcome your comments, but those from Anonymous users, or those including links will be immediately reported as Spam to Blogger and will be deleted. Thanks for your understanding.